Reasons to Switch From Waxing to Laser Hair Removal
Hair removal has long been a dilemma. From shaving to chemical depilatory creams to plucking, keeping unwanted hair under control is a constant battle. With a busy life, hitting the salon every week for ten days becomes a burden no one wants. That is why, over the years, many people have started waxing. However, waxing has some disadvantages when compared to laser hair removal. Bared Monkey offers laser hair removal in NY with 20 near new FDA Approved laser machines.
Waxing vs. Laser Hair Removal Treatment: Which One Is Best For You?
Determining which process is best for you involves understanding how each one works, the amount of pain experienced, and how long it works. Cost and results are also facts to think about. Waxing is an older method but is often beaten out by the new technology used in laser hair removal treatment.
What Is Waxing?
Waxing is a method that generally lasts a few weeks as the follicle is left in the dermis layer of the skin and will eventually grow back. Once the hair is extracted, the outside layer of the skin is a smooth, hairless surface.
How Does Waxing Work?
This method uses hot wax applied to the skin and then covered with a fabric. The placement is essential as the material must be applied in the same direction as the hair growth. The material is then torn off, bringing the top layer of hair off the skin and onto the fabric. New hair growth will start within a few weeks, and the area must be waxed again.
Pros of Waxing
• Costs – An individual waxing session is less expensive than laser hair removal. However, it is less effective and requires unending duplicate treatments. If you add up all the sessions necessary over a lifetime, you pay way more for waxing.
• Versatility – One of the significant benefits of waxing is that it works well for any skin tone, skin type, or hair type.
• Dual purpose – Not only is hair removed, but waxing exfoliates the skin, removing dead cells.
• DIY – You can do waxing yourself, but it isn’t recommended.
Cons of Waxing
• Discomfort – Waxing is the most uncomfortable method of hair removal. Because the hair is pulled from the follicle, it is painful. This is particularly true in the more sensitive areas like the underarms, bikini, or ears.
• Side effects – Ingrown hairs often occur as a result of the waxing process. Additionally, redness, swelling, minor bleeding, and pain at the treatment site are sometimes an issue.
• Stubble – As waxing requires at least a quarter inch of growth to work, recipients need to endure stubble before returning for another treatment.
• Sensitive skin – Waxing can irritate, so individuals with sensitive skin shouldn’t choose to wax.
What Is Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
Laser hair removal treatments are long-lasting and sometimes permanent. Permanent hair removal results generally occur in 80-90% of cases. It is a medical procedure that uses a laser applicator and is a safe, effective process.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Treatment Work?
A laser is used to release light toward the skin. The light becomes sucked up by the melanin in the hair and is heated, damaging the hair follicles. This damage means the hair cannot grow back or will be inhibited from growth.
Pros of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
• Costs – Although laser hair removal is initially more expensive than waxing when calculating the overtime expense, laser hair removal wins.
• Comfort level – As laser hair removal is done via a light, it is not nearly as painful as waxing. The worst pain you may feel is like a rubber band hitting the skin’s surface. Side effects are minimal and won’t last as long as waxing.
• Safety – Laser hair removal is gentle enough for people with sensitive skin. It also eliminates the possibility of ingrown hair.
• Time – A laser hair removal treatment only takes a few minutes, even in larger areas. Multiple hairs are destroyed with just one laser pulse, so it doesn’t take long to complete the process.
• Flexibility – Any part of the body is eligible for laser hair removal. Laser hair removal is an exact process and attacks dark hairs, leaving skin unblemished.
Cons of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
• Limits – A contrast between skin and hair is optimal for best results. The light used in lasers is attracted to the pigment. This means that darker hair with lighter skin is ideal for laser hair removal. However, in recent years, improvements have made it possible for those with darker skin to receive laser hair removal successfully. Talk with your laser hair removal expert to determine if you are a good candidate.
• Length of treatment time – Although each session is short, laser hair removal is a process, but the result is longer-lasting and more effective. The hair cycle consists of growth, rest, and a fall-out phase. Each hair is in a different stage during the treatment. This means that the resting inches can only be reached at sessions. The specific number of treatments is 6-9 to achieve maximum results.
Why Choose Laser Hair Removal Treatment Over Waxing?
In short, laser hair removal treatments are a more positive experience. The excruciating torture of pulling off the fabric as it rips the hair from the skin makes waxing an extremely uncomfortable event. Laser is a gentler type of hair removal that takes a little time but is longer-lasting smooth skin without stubble. People prone to ingrown hair find that laser hair removal is the best choice as it removes the hair follicle and the hair.
Waxing also creates redness, minor bleeding, swelling, and pain at the treatment site. Laser is a less invasive procedure, so redness and swelling are minimal. Many clients use a cool compress and lotion to help with discomfort.
In the long run, the price tag is lower for laser hair removal treatments. The initial investment seems higher, but as waxing requires repeated procedures, you pay more for it as time goes on. Laser hair removal treatments often last as long as six months. Also, with each session, the hair becomes softer, and you will find that you have less and less hair as time goes by.
Laser hair removal treatment is a more permanent solution as the hair follicle is destroyed and the hair is removed. The hair will grow back with the follicle present. With waxing, a return to the salon is required every few weeks to get rid of the new growth. If you want smooth, flawless skin, laser hair removal is the way.
Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
There are several ways to prepare for a laser hair removal treatment. For six weeks prior, avoid sun exposure, as this can interrupt the effectiveness of the treatment. Six weeks after the procedure, you must also stay out of the sun as it can cause damage to the treated area. Additionally, you will need to discontinue any electrolysis, waxing, or plucking six weeks before your laser hair removal treatment. This is because laser hair removal needs to reach the hair follicle, and these methods temporarily remove the root.
Additionally, you will want to shave at least 24 hours before each appointment. If the hair is too long, the laser heat burns the hair and may damage the surrounding skin. You also want to stay within the appointment time. Shaving raises the skin and leaves the skin fragile for a few hours. Allowing the skin to recover is why 24 hours is recommended.
What Happens During a Laser Hair Removal Session?
The session begins with a cool ultrasound gel being applied to the area. Next, the laser is used, and the pulse starts. While many people tolerate the procedure well, it is essential to remember that the sensation is often described as a rubber band popping against the skin. Some clients say the discomfort becomes less as the treatments proceed.
Why Bared Monkey?
If you are looking for laser hair removal in NY, Bared Monkey is the leading, most affordable spa in NYC. Our state-of-the-art equipment and experienced team also provide quality services. We utilize three different technologies for laser hair removal treatment:
1. Candela GentleMax Pro™ (Dual Wavelength Platform)
2. Lumenis Splendor X™ (Blend X Technology)
3. lma Soprono™ (Sapphire Tip Cooling)
Bared Monkey offers laser hair removal in NY. Our spa features over 20 FDA-approved pieces of equipment for laser hair removal. We are constantly updating our technology to meet the needs of our customers. With an expert team, Bared Monkey renders safe, quality artistry to ensure that our clients are 100% satisfied. Make an appointment soon at one of our convenient locations – Penn Station and Grand Central.