HOW DOES LASER HAIR REMOVAL WORK?
Laser hair removal is a treatment utilizing the concept of “photothermolysis” in which a specific wavelength of light is emitted to the skin tissue and after being absorbed by melanin (the pigment that gives color to our hair and skin) in the hair root, is transformed to heat. The heat then destroys the hair follicle, preventing the follicle from producing further hair growth. Since the laser can only target hair that is in its active growth cycle, a course of 8-10 sessions are required to get the best results. Treatment intervals could vary from 4-8 weeks apart and depends on the area being treated. The hair growth cycle involves three stages, and the laser is only effective when the hair is in the active growth stage. Multiple treatment sessions (spaced out by a few weeks) ensure that each hair is destroyed when it is growing.
Is Laser hair removal safe?
Laser hair removal is a FDA-cleared, fast and effective medical grade procedure for reducing unwanted hair permanently from almost all part of the body. It has been approved as “permanent hair reduction”. The efficacy and safety of laser hair removal is now generally accepted in dermatology communities and is widely practiced in clinics all around the world.
Is laser hair removal good for you or not?
It is suitable for almost all skin types and hair colors. Putting it in simple terms, as long as your hair has enough color to absorb the light, you can get laser hair removal. People who have fair skin and dark hair are the best candidates and will get the best results, since laser does not work on blond, red, grey and white hair. The results on fine hair may also not be as good as those on thick hairs. The darker and thicker the hair, the better the result will be.
Is the process painful?
You may expect to feel minimal pain during your treatment. The degree of discomfort depends on your skin and hair color and also the treatment area. Laser hair removal might be more painful for people with thicker hairs and high density of hair because there are more targeted pigments in the treated area which leads to higher level of light absorption. For clients who have more sensitive skin, we suggest to apply an anesthetic cream to numb the area 30 minutes prior to the service, especially on the more sensitive areas, to reduce the discomfort.
We utilize Candela’s patented Dynamic Cooling Device™ (DCD™) provides consistent, reproducible epidermal cooling and unparalleled comfort for our patients. DCD prepares skin for treatment by selectively spraying the upper layers with a cooling burst of cryogen in adjustable spray/delay durations, milliseconds before and after the laser pulse. DCD’s unique design provides excellent visibility throughout the entire process. DCD is operator technique independent—it will provide the same epidermal protection no matter how fast the laser is fired. The most powerful benefit to you? Speed and Skin Safety.
What are the benefits of Laser hair removal treatment?
· To compare with other permanent hair removal method such as electrolysis, laser hair removal is less painful, much faster and more cost effective and has fewer side effects.
· It gives permanent hair reduction results of up to 95% without causing any damage to your skin and surrounding tissue.
· Laser hair removal has been the most popular hair removal method in last decade due to its speed and efficacy.
· In addition, it’s more time and cost effective due to its efficacy and permanent results.
· Skin irritation and ingrown hair are common side effects of temporary hair removal such as waxing, plucking, shaving and depilatory creams, on the other hand Brazilian laser hair removal not only is the best solution for ingrown hair but it also does not irritate the skin.
· You can also experience clean and hairless skin during your treatment session intervals as you do not need to wait for the hair to grow back to get your next appointment and can shave whenever you want.
Side effects of laser hair removal.
Laser hair removal is a safe treatment for almost all skin types and no down time is required. It’s a walk-in walk-out treatment and you can resume your everyday activity immediately afterward. Temporary itching, redness, and swelling around the treatment area or swelling of the hair follicles (follicular edema) are all quite normal after Brazilian hair removal. Applying cool compresses and an aloe Vera gel may relieve the side effects.
People with higher level of epidermal melanin (Skin type V and VI) may have a higher chance to experience pigment changes such as hyper-pigmentation or hypo-pigmentation. The Nd:YAG (1064 nm) laser was introduced which provides safe laser hair removal in all skin types including the darker skin types of African-American patients.
Four main concepts are important in achieving this objective:
· Longer wavelength lasers avoid melanin absorption by the epidermis but are still selective enough to target the melanin in the dark, black hairs.
· Longer wavelengths penetrate deeper into the dermis to further diminish the risk of epidermal damage.
· Longer pulse widths are essential for achieving safe laser hair removal. A pulse duration of longer than 10 ms would allow sufficient cooling of the epidermis.
· With appropriate pre and post cooling of skin, side effects can be minimized.
Things you should do before the treatment
· Shave yourself before going to the clinic
To make sure that you get the best out of your Laser Hair Removal treatment, it is important to shave the area 12 hours before your treatment as this will ensure the surface of your treatment area to be clear and the root of your hair follicles will be present just underneath. To ensure your treatment is effective, the root of the hair needs to be present in the follicle without any hair sitting above the skin. Try your best to avoid using exfoliating cream, threading, waxing and any use of hair removal cream 2 weeks prior to your treatment to receive outstanding results.
· Wear something comfortable
For the first-timer, it is recommended to wear a skirt or a pair of loose linen pants. You do not want a snug pair of jeans potentially irritating the area post treatment , wear something that makes you feel comfortable essentially loose clothing is preferred rather than tight clothing.
· Staying out of the sun. Avoiding sun exposure 2 weeks before and after treatment. Whenever you go out, apply a broad-spectrum, SPF30 sunscreen.
· Avoiding other hair removal methods. Plucking, waxing and electrolysis can disturb the hair follicle and should be avoided at least four weeks before treatment.
· Avoiding photosensitive medications. Ask your doctor about if the prescribed medications will cause photosensitive side effects, such as anti-biotic or anti-depression medications. Avoid taking the medications 3 to 4 weeks before treatments.
· Avoiding anti-aging, or anti-acne skin products. Avoid skin products contains Retin-A, Retinol, AHA-products, glycolic acids etc on the treatment area 1 week before.
· Remove any lotions, body oil, perfume, make-up, deodorants and jewelry on the treatment area prior to the service.
Things you should do after the treatment
Everyone’s body reacts differently to laser hair removal. Some people report minor side effects such as erythema or edema which normally subside within 30 minutes post-treatment. Some patients may also experience minor itching in the hours after treatment. Ice-pack and Aloe vera is usually all you need to soothe and calm the skin. People who do not care for the treated area can experience more severe side effects, such as skin discoloration, scarring and blistering.You must follow the proper aftercare plan to minimize the chance of side effects. First and foremost, it is essential to avoid sun exposure. This includes natural and artificial sun, as both can have adverse effects.
In the next 24 hours post treatment,you should try to avoid swimming pools, hot tubs, hot showers, steam rooms, exercise and other activities that may cause excess sweat.
Try to minimize shaving in between sessions as this will lower the effectiveness of the laser treatments. We recommend clients gently exfoliate the skin 2 to 3 times a week starting from the 2nd week in between each session which will help to eliminate ingrown hairs and smooth out your skin.
If you experience any pain or abnormal skin reactions, contact our office immediately for further instructions.