Before your laser treatment:
6 months before:
- Avoid Accutane
4 weeks before:
- No waxing, plucking or using depilatory (hair removal cream)
- Avoid photosensitive medications (i.e. Anti-biotic, Doxycycline, Tricyclic antidepressants, Quinidine, Amiodarone, St. John Wort etc.)
- Avoid other laser treatments/ Microdermabrasion/ Chemical Peels/ Botox/ Filler on the treatment site
2 weeks before:
- Avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, creams or spray.
- Avoid skin irritants (i.e. Products contain tretinoin, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents, etc.)
- Avoid Anticoagulants
24 hours before:
- The area to be treated must be CLEAN SHAVED the day before your treatment.
- If you have a history of Herpes Simplex Virus or cold sores, you must premeditate one day prior to treatment to prevent further outbreaks.
Day of treatment：
- Remove any lotions, body oil, perfume, make-up, deodorants and jewelry in the areas to be treated prior to treatment
- Wear loose fitting clothing that will leave the treatment area exposed and easily accessible for treatment. Tight or rough clothing may cause you to feel uncomfortable if the skin becomes sensitive after treatment.
- You may feel a slight pricking or stinging. Some people feel a rubber band snapping onto the skin. For people with sensitive skin, you may apply a topical numbing cream 30 minutes prior to treatment time in order for it to take effect.
If you are pregnant/breastfeeding, you are NOT a good candidate for laser.
After your laser treatment:
It is IMPORTANT that you follow all post-treatment instructions carefully because, during the healing process, there is a slight possibility that the treated area can become either lighter (hypopigmentation) or darker (hyperpigmentation) in color compared to the surrounding skin. This is usually a temporary condition; however, on a rare occasion, it can be permanent. Please call your doctor promptly if complications develop after the procedure.
- Immediately after treatment, there should be erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) at the treatment site which may last 2 hours to several days. The erythema may last up to 2-4 days. The treated area can feel like a sunburn for several hours after.
- It's recommended to use an ice pack post-treatment to provide comfort if the treated area is extremely warm and it is typically needed within the first 20 minutes after the treatment.
- It's recommended to apply Aloe Vera or Hydrocortisone1.5% post-treatment 3 times daily for a soothing cooling effect.
- Rarely, minor epidermal blistering may occur in which case antibiotic ointment may be applied twice a day to the affected areas. DO NOT pick at these areas, as this may result in infection or scarring. If this should happen, please contact our office immediately and our aesthetician will give you further instructions.
- UNDERARMS: wait few hours until any sign of redness has vanished before you use deodorants.
- FACE: wait few hours until any sign of redness has vanished before you put on makeup. NO skin irritants (i.e. glycolic, acids, retinoids, etc.) for 7 days after treatment.
- Avoid any activities that will cause sweating (i.e. exercising, hot shower, hot saunas etc.) for a minimum 12 hours.
- Apply sunscreen daily. It should be at least SPF 30 protects UVA/UVB and contains the physical blockers zinc oxide and titanium oxide. It is recommended to use SPF 50 during summer time for the first two weeks after your laser treatment.
- NO plucking, waxing, using a depilatory or undergo electrolysis in between treatments.
- To achieve the OPTIMUM RESULT, try your best to minimize shaving (try to leave the hairs alone and ONLY shave the day before your next appointment). Excessive shaving may stimulate the hair growth.
- It may take 2-3 weeks for the dead hairs to fall out from the follicles. During the shedding phase, hair may look like it's growing, but it is actually shedding out. It’s recommended that you gently exfoliate the treated area starting from Week TWO, 2 to 3 times per week to help the dead hair fall out which will help eliminate the ingrown hairs. Applying moisturizer after exfoliating will help skin replenish.